Friday, June 23, 2006

Journal 4

Journal 4 – June 23, 2006

The last couple of days have been pretty mellow. Yesterday was a long one but there was nothing overly stressful. The afternoon turned out to be a mostly mental health afternoon. A lot of the local residents seem to turn to Dr. Wright for counseling even though mental health services are available. I like the fact that he doesn’t just dish out meds without really talking with the patient.

So I asked Dr. Wright about abortion yesterday on the way back from Longview. He, as well as the other practitioners in the clinic, is firmly against abortion. Women who want an abortion have to drive 1 ½ hours to Portland to get one. There’s a Planned Parenthood in Longview but they don’t offer the procedures. Although I respect the doctor’s right to not perform abortions it still troubles me that women have to go so far out of their way to get a legal procedure. I’m sure there are places where it’s even more difficult.

I was strolling through town today doing some street research for my III and people recognized me and said hi. That’s such a weird feeling. I can see why people like living in a place where everyone knows each other but, on the other hand, there’s a lot to be said for anonymity.

No comments: