Saturday, July 08, 2006

Last RUOP Journal

Journal 8 – July 8, 2006

It’s good to be back. Although leaving the clinic was pretty tough. I really felt like I belonged there, at least in the clinic, not necessarily the town. They even had a going away potluck and bought me a gift.

The kind of medicine practiced there is exactly what I’d like to do. The bonds formed between the physician and his patients make it a highly rewarding experience. The doctors and staff don’t seem to mind putting in the extra time and effort that it takes. There seems to be a higher level of commitment to their patients, probably because they’re related to, or at least friends with, most of them. I didn’t see this level of care at Group Health.

So am I getting ready to pack everything up and move to Cathlamet? Not quite. I was getting pretty tired of the area. It doesn’t have much to offer in the way of activities and there’s little diversity to speak of. Toward the end I started to spend more time with the ex-hippies out in Skamokawa. But the people of Cathlamet are wonderful. Maybe a bit conservative but refreshingly unpretentious.

So the big question is, can I find a place where this kind of medicine is practiced but still enjoy some of the life that a place like Seattle has to offer? Well, I still have three years to figure that out.

Last words of wisdom: If you’re ever in Cathlamet stop by Janet’s and get the Dungeness Crab and White Cheddar Omelet. That’s about all I have.

No comments: